Missions: Operation Christmas Child
For August-October's missions project, we're supporting Operation Christmas Child, a ministry of Samaritan’s Purse International Relief. Samaritan's Purse is a nondenominational evangelical Christian organization providing spiritual and physical aid to hurting people around the world.
Operation Christmas Child brings joy and hope to children in desperate situations through gift-filled shoe boxes and the Good News of God’s love. Since 1993, more than 100 million boys and girls in over 130 countries have experienced God's love through the power of these simple shoebox gifts. Samaritan's Purse also works with local churches and ministry partners to deliver the gifts, share the Gospel, and provide follow-up discipleship classes. Often entire families and sometimes entire villages come to know Jesus personally.
August: Collecting School Supplies
- Specific School Supplies Needed: new or lightly used pens, pencils, pencil sharpeners, crayons & markers.
- NO liquids (paint or glue), broken crayons or war/weapon related items.
September: Collecting Toiletries & Personal Items
- Specific Toiletries Needed: new toothbrushes, bar soaps, combs, socks, flip flops & sunglasses.
- NO liquids, lotions, vitamins, medications, aerosol cans or used toiletries.
October: Collecting All Supplies & Completed Boxes
- Completed Boxes: make a box at home and bring it in. Use this video as a guide
- Box Supplies: empty standard-size shoe boxes (with detached lids), gift wrap & supplies to fill boxes (see next).
- Any Supplies To Fill Boxes: shoe-box sized toys, dolls, or stuffed animals, craft kits, hair accessories, sports equipment (junior footballs, mini soccer balls, jump ropes, tennis balls), musical instruments (kazoo, harmonica, maraca), individually-wrapped hard candy, notepads, flash lights (with batteries), kid's jewelry, t-shirts or any of the items previously collected. NO war or weapon related items.
HOW TO GET INVOLVED:
- WRAP a standard-sized shoe box and lid separately.
- CHOOSE boy or girl and age range, 2-4 years, 5-9 years or 10-14 years. Print and attach this label to the box.
- FILL box with a variety of items such as school supplies, toiletries, toys, crafts or clothing. No war or weapon related items, liquids, lotions, aerosols, medications, breakable items (glass, porcelain), chocolate, expired candy or damaged items)
- PERSONALIZE by adding a family photo, making a card, or printing an "All About Me" page.
- PRAY for God to touch the heart of the child who will receive your gift and hear the good news of God's best gift, His son, Jesus Christ.
- INCLUDE $7 for shipping on top (make checks payable to "Samaritan's Purse." Want to follow you box to know which country it goes to? Click here to learn how.
- DROP OFF at Kid's Quest check-in stations no later than Sunday, Nov. 2. Rubber band the lids to boxes to secure.
- COME to Assembly Day on Saturday, Nov. 8 at 10:00 am in the Main Lobby. This is a great hands-on service project for the whole family! We also need Station Leaders. To volunteer contact Jeana Pe at email@example.com or 703-770-8651.
ARE YOU CRAFTY?
We have a collection of random craft supplies that we’d like to either make into gift items or package as craft kits to include in our shoe boxes. If you’re a crafty person able to help us make the most of these supplies, please contact Romney Short at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss.