Missions: Operation Christmas Child
For August-October's missions project, we're supporting Operation Christmas Child, a ministry of Samaritan’s Purse International Relief. Samaritan's Purse is a nondenominational evangelical Christian organization providing spiritual and physical aid to hurting people around the world.
Operation Christmas Child brings joy and hope to children in desperate situations through gift-filled shoe boxes and the Good News of God’s love. Since 1993, more than 100 million boys and girls in over 130 countries have experienced God's love through the power of these simple shoebox gifts. Samaritan's Purse also works with local churches and ministry partners to deliver the gifts, share the Gospel, and provide follow-up discipleship classes. Often entire families and sometimes entire villages come to know Jesus personally.
This year we’re collecting a little differently than in previous years. Each month we’ll focus on something new:
August: School Supplies
- Specific School Supplies Needed: new or lightly used pens, pencils, sharpeners, crayons, & markers.
- NO liquids (paint or glue), broken crayons, or war/weapon related items.
- Specific Toiletries Needed: toothbrushes, toothpaste, bar soaps & combs, wash cloth.
- NO liquids, lotions, vitamins, medications, aerosol cans, used toiletries.
October: All Supplies
- Completed Boxes
- Specific Supplies Needed: empty standard-size shoe boxes (with detached lids), gift wrap & supplies to fill boxes (see next).
- Ideas for Supplies To Fill Boxes: shoe-box sized toys, dolls, or stuffed animals, craft kits, hair accessories, sports equipment (junior footballs, mini soccer balls, jump ropes, tennis balls), musical instruments (kazoo, harmonica, maraca), individually-wrapped hard candy, notepads, flash lights (with batteries), kid's jewelry, socks, t-shirts, any of the items previously collected, etc.
- NO: expired candy, chocolate, damaged items, breakable items (glass, porcelain), or war/weapon-themed items
Here's how your family can get involved:
- PRAY for the children who will receive our boxes.
- DROP OFF completed boxes or donations of gift wrap, empty standard-size shoe boxes (with detached lids), and supplies to fill boxes at Kid's Quest check-in stations.
- GIVE offering to God in Kid's Quest classes which will be used to purchase additional supplies and cover the shipping of the boxes overseas ($7 each).
- PACK A BOX in October using the this video as a guide and attaching this label to the box. Have your child fill out an "All About Me" page to include in the box. Want to follow you box to know which country it goes to? Click here to learn how.
- ASSEMBLE gift-filled boxes at our Assembly Day on Saturday, Nov. 8 at 10:00 am in the Main Lobby. This is a great hands-on service project for the whole family! If you have questions about Assembly Day, contact Jeana Pe at email@example.com or 703-770-8651.
ARE YOU CRAFTY?
We have a collection of random craft supplies that we’d like to either make into gift items or package as craft kits to include in our shoe boxes. If you’re a crafty person able to help us make the most of these supplies, please contact Romney Short at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss.